Pre-Judging Starts: 5:00 PM
Time Allotted Per Cosplay: 1 minute
Pre-Judging Ends: 6:30 PM
Location: Spa-Con Theater, Room 208
Cosplay Club opens: 7:00 PM
Final Round Starts: 7:30 PM
Time Allotted Per Cosplay: 1 minutes
Final Round Ends: 8:30 PM
Location: Horner Hall, Cosplay Club
Best Overall Cosplay 18+ (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place)
Best Overall Cosplay 17 and Under (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place)
Best Group Cosplay (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place)
Best Couple Cosplay (1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place)
Judges: Knightmage, Mcubed, Gregory Harris, Crafty Fox,
SPA-CON COSPLAY CONTEST RULES:
The rules on this page are subject to change, if you are interested in participating, please check Spa-Con.org to ensure you are aware of any updated, added, or changed rules. Be advised that signing up for any cosplay contest is an affirmation that you agree to adhere to the rules presented on the Spa-Con website as well as any decisions made by cosplay staff prior to, or during, Spa-Con.
All cosplay events/panels have the potential to be photographed/filmed/recorded in some fashion. These recordings may be used in future galleries or promotions. Signing up for, and/or attending, any cosplay event is done with the understanding that recording could occur at any time, and permission is tacitly given for the participant’s likeness to be used.
– You must be a registered Spa-Con attendee in order to compete. Each member of your group must have a badge, pass, or other forms of attendee membership.
– All costumes must cover “swimsuit areas” – no nudity. Body-paint costumes are not eligible for craftsmanship.
The contest is open to characters from any and all pop-culture published works including but not limited to: movies, TV shows, books, cartoons, and games.
– Spa-Con adheres to the “PG‐13 rule” when it comes to language and hand gestures on stage. Violation of this rule may cause you to be disqualified from the competition.
– During the contest enter and exit the stage at the designated points only. There will be a wheelchair-accessible ramp for contestants. Costumes must be handled by the contestant or by handler(s) the contestant brings to help. Handlers are required to be registered attendees of the convention, and Spa-Con can not provide on-stage assistants.
– Contestants are not allowed to throw anything off the stage, nor use projectiles or use anything on stage that will leave a mess. This includes (but is not limited to) liquids, glitter, and confetti. If you have a question about something you want to do, feel free to send an email with “Costume Contestant Question” as the subject. All participants are encouraged to keep at least one foot on the stage at all times.
– No pyrotechnics, fire, explosive devices, live animals, or similar special effects can be used during the competition; this includes smoke/smog machines and flash paper/powder. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition and be asked to leave the convention area depending on the severity of the incursion. All prop weapons must conform to the Spa-Con prop weapons policies, including being checked.
– Each contestant may only enter one costume into the competition. You can have up to six people in a Group Cosplay and no less than 3 people in a Group Cosplay.
– All contestants must attend pre-judging.
Spa-Con reserves the right to turn away any contest entry it deems inappropriate or not in compliance with the rules.
There will be a pre‐judging before the cosplay competition in Room 208 at 5:00 pm on Saturday, September 25th. Pre-judging attendance is MANDATORY in order to advance to the Final Round of the Cosplay Club Contest. Contestants will use this time to check-in and answer questions about their cosplay. Pre-judging is from 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM. Contestants that do not attend pre-judging will not be permitted to advance in the competition. We highly recommend getting there early to ensure your entry.
– The pre‐judging is mandatory for all contestants in all divisions.
– Entries should show up to the pre‐judging prepared and in costume.
– Contestants will fill out a short form to give to the judges. This questionnaire will assign each contestant with a number. Please pay attention to your number, so you know if you are called for the next round of judging.
– The form will ask the contestant their name, age, cosplay, what their cosplay is from, what materials were used, how long it took to make the cosplay, their favorite aspect of their cosplay, and why they chose that cosplay. This form must be filled out in its entirety for judges to accurately judge your cosplay.
– When entering the pre-judging room, contestants will hand the judges their information form.
Pre-judging is a one minute Q and A with our judges. Judges will ask contestants further questions about their cosplay and take a digital picture of each contestant to reference in deliberation.
– Judges will score each contestant based on a provided rubric ranging from 1 to 30.
Contestants will be judged on the following criteria: Accuracy of Cosplay, Attention to Detail, Originality of Cosplay, Hair and Makeup, Craftsmanship of Cosplay, and OVerall Quality of Cosplay.
– After deliberation, judges will announce the contestants that will be moving on to the final round of the Cosplay Contest. Contestants must be present at Cosplay Club in Horner Hall for the announcement to receive further instructions to compete in the final round.
– Those who make it into the final round of the Cosplay Club will be announced at 7:15 PM in Horner Hall at Cosplay Club. Contestants that are called must go to the stage at that time, so the final round can begin.
– Contestants will be disqualified if they are not present at Cosplay Club and made it to the final round.
The final round of Cosplay Judging will take place in Horner Hall at 7:30 PM Saturday, September 25th. The top 5 contestants per age division and top 5 contestants for Best Group Cosplay and Best Couple Cosplay will move onto the final round of the Cosplay Contest. Those who advance from prejudging to the final round will have the opportunity to showcase their cosplay for 1 minute on the stage at Cosplay Club.
The final round of the Cosplay Contest will allow contestants to showcase their stage presence, showmanship, and personality.
These contestants; in addition to the prejudging scores, will also be judged based on presentation.
– Spa-Con will NOT take individual music, or special F/X requests for performances.
Spa-Con will provide a handheld microphone upon request.
– The final round of the Cosplay Contest will end at 8:30 PM
– After all contestants have showcased their cosplay on stage, the judges will deliberate.
– All winners will be announced at the conclusion of the Cosplay Contest.
– Contestants MUST be present in order to receive their prize.
Spa-Con 2021 Cosplay Contest Prizes Include: Superior Merch, Big Axe Gift Certificates or Merch, Mountain Tower Passes, Be Nice Arkansas Merchandise, Garvan Woodland Garden Passes, Mid-America Science Museum Passes, Magic Springs Tickets
All contestants that place will receive a Spa-Con Medal.
1st Place 21+ Guest offer at Spa-Con 2022, 2 VIP access (21+ Only), Cash Prize Provided by our Presenting Sponsor Hot Springs Beauty College
2nd Place 21+ 4 Weekend Passes to Spa-Con 2022
3rd Place 21+ 2 Weekend Passes to Spa-Con 2022
1st Place 13-20 (#TBD) Passes, Cash Prize Provided by our Presenting Sponsor Hot Springs Beauty College ($TBD)
2nd Place 13-20
3rd Place 13-20
1st Place 12 and Under 2
2nd Place 12 and Under
3rd Place 12 and Under
Best Group Cosplay
Best Couple Cosplay
Most Original Cosplay
Best Throwback Cosplay
Best Makeup/ Hair